Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Lux Series Review


The Lux Series
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don’t kill him first, that is. -Obsidian (book 1) 
The Lux series is noted as an underrated favorite of many on booktube, where I do a lot of watching for recommendations. I was drawn in by the Twilight-like description and the fact that I was looking for a fun, easy read. I can confirm, that is what I was given with this series!

***spoilers ahead***

Katy and Daemon in Obsidian captivated me so much that I devoured it in just a few hours. Their love to hate relationship and witty banter had me completely enthralled. I found Katy to be extremely relatable; her love for books and close relationship with her mother was so heart warming and lovable. Daemon was such a jerk at the beginning, but I loved him. I, normally, would not be able to stand a character like him, but there was just something about him that I absolutely adored. Dee, Daemon's sister, was another favorite of mine. Dee was so unique and someone that you just wanted to have sleepovers with!

The characters in this series were set up to be so diverse, personality-wise. Each one of them felt so real; could relate to and feel their pain as they went through difficult times. I did feel though that at a certain point there stopped being a lot of character growth. Over the course of the first few books, we see Daemon grow from only caring about his family and hating humans to loving Katy and doing anything he can to protect her. In the last two books, I felt like Katy and Daemon had been through so much, but I still saw that immaturity they had in the first book. It may just be personality traits, but it annoyed me a little.

On the topic of Katy and Daemon, their love for each other was just beautiful and selfless. I never really felt like they had instalove. You could just tell how much they really cared about each other.

I loved the action in this book! The Luxen were so unique. Their backstory and all of the drama that ensued with the Daedalus kept be wanting to just keep reading to make sure everything was going to end well. Side note- Katy is such a badass and I love it!

While it was kind of nice to see Daemon's POV of things, I was not a fan of the last two books alternating Daemon and Katy's POV every other chapter. I see why it was done, but I loved the first three books with Katy's POV much better than the last two.

My biggest complaint involves Katy's mom. I LOVED her mom and how close they were. When she was phased out it just was so confusing to me. I completely understood why Katy couldn't have contact with her mother, but she didn't seem to care as much as I thought she would. And the last book... I don't want to go there :(

Overall, I thought the Lux series was an amazing alien-romance-action series. Katy and Daemon made this series, for me. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone wanting a fun, swoon-worthy series!

Overall Rating: 4.4/5




No comments:

Post a Comment